The flu season is well under way across the United States with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reporting that between 6 million and 7 million people have already come down with the illness.
CDC officials said Friday that half of those afflicted sought medical attention. As many as 84,000 were hospitalized.
In addition, 24 states reported widespread influenza activity in early January.
Experts say rates of influenza are generally above-average levels across the country.
“At the end of 2018, flu activity was high in New York City and 19 states, including most of the American southwest and New Jersey. It’s still low in Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, and 22 of our 50 states, but that will change as the season progresses,” Stephen Morse, PhD, a professor of epidemiology at the Columbia University Medical Center in New York, told Healthline.
There are ways you could protect yourself.
Experts are urging both adults and children to get vaccinated.
“Influenza can take a perfectly healthy person and put them in the emergency room within 24 hours. Influenza is always dangerous,” Stephen said.
“Vaccination — although not perfect — still prevents many infections completely, and even if you get influenza having received the vaccine, your illness is much more likely to be milder, and you’re less likely to get the complications of pneumonia and having to be hospitalized.”
Herbal supplements that could help:
- Lung Car Max: Relieve lung congestion and cleansing of the toxics buildup. Ingredients include American ginseng, bee propolis, bee pollen, and royal jelly.
- Tong Ren Tang - Ganmao Qingre Keli: Very popular in Asian countries. Convenient granule packs in which you could bring to work and make tea.
- 999 Cold Remedy Granular: Helps temporary relieves symptoms of common cold*
- Gan Mao Ling: Support a healthy respiratory system and a healthy immune system response.
- Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa: Cough syrup helps relieve a sore throat and cold symptoms*
- Natural Herb Loquat Extract: Fritillary bulb that helps clear heat and moisten the lung*
- Isatis Root Syrup: Herbal syrup helps sore throat and other cold symptoms*
*Please note: these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. This product cannot replace your doctor’s prescription medicine.